2018 SEPTA Trolley Blitz Updates:
The annual SEPTA Trolley Blitz is scheduled to take place from the evening of Friday, July 13th through early Monday, July 23rd. There will be no trolley access to The Woodlands for the duration of the blitz. Additionally, vehicular access on Woodland Avenue will be limited. All cars will need to take Woodland Avenue from 38th Street to get to our entrance. The Woodlands will be OPEN throughout the Trolley Blitz. More information about the Blitz can be found here.
Located in University City in West Philadelphia, the entrance to The Woodlands is directly across from SEPTA's 40th Street Trolley Portal and is a short walk from University of Pennsylvania, University of the Sciences, and the VA Hospital.
The grounds of The Woodlands are open daily from dawn to dusk for the enjoyment of the public.
Maps of the site and guides to the Cemetery are available at Mansion during business hours. While we do our best to allow curious visitors to see the interior of the mansion apart from scheduled tours, it is not always possible for us to accomodate drop-in visitors.
Is your book club reading Elizabeth Gilbert's The Signature of All Things? The Woodlands is offering special 2-hour tours of the site that inspired the setting of White Acre to book club members. Learn more and contact us to schedule your visit!
The Woodlands welcomes school groups and has special programming for students of all ages. If you're an educator interested in bringing your class to The Woodlands, contact our Program and Operations Coordinator via email or at 215-386-2181.
Rules & Regulations
The Woodlands is still an active cemetery and we ask that visitors be respectful and abide by the following rules while visiting:
- The grounds of The Woodlands are open daily, from dawn until dusk.
- All dogs MUST be on a leash. No exceptions. Owners are required to pick up after their dogs.
- Visitors are all allowed to drive on paved roads ONLY at a speed limit of no greater than 15 MPH.
- Parking is allowed for Woodlands visitors only. Please keep all tires off the grass.
- Buses and other large vehicles are not allowed in The Woodlands without prior approval.
- Smoking, alcohol, and drug use are prohibited.
- Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Gravestones are fragile. Please do not touch, climb, or sit on them. Gravestone rubbing is prohibited.
- Please do not disturb trees, shrubs, and plantings, or pick flowers or foliage. Tree-climbing and slack-lining are strictly prohibited.
- A special permit must be obtained for all film-making, commercial photography, or photography with special equipment or posed subjects.
- The Woodlands welcomes picnickers, but groups of more then 10 people must have prior permission to use the site.
- Skateboards, motorized dirt bikes and ATVs are not permitted.
- Bikes may be locked to the bike racks located near the front gates and the stable. Locking or chaining bikes to trees, monuments, or fencing is prohibited.
- Bicycling is welcome on the asphalt roads, but is PROHIBITED ON THE DIRT PATH.
- Feeding the wildlife is PROHIBITED. Failure to comply will result in being asked to leave the grounds.
The Woodlands reserves the right to ask anyone to leave the premises at its discretion.
The Woodlands is located at 4000 Woodland Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Schuylkill Expressway (I-76 Eastbound)
Exit 346B (old #41), University Avenue. Continue on University Avenue to the fourth stoplight. Turn left onto Baltimore Avenue after the VA Medical Center. Go a half block and take the left fork to Woodland Avenue continuing through a light. The entrance to The Woodlands is on the left across from the SEPTA trolley stop.
Schuylkill Expressway (I-76 Westbound)
Exit 346A (old #40), South Street (left lane) and turn left. Continue west past Franklin Field on Spruce Street to 38th Street. Turn left. Turn right at the light before the VA Medical Center onto Baltimore Avenue. (Follow remaining directions found under Schuylkill Expressway Eastbound.)
From Center City
Take Walnut Street to 38th Street. Turn left on 38th Street. Turn right at the light before the VA Medical Center onto Baltimore Avenue. (Follow remaining directions found under Schuylkill Expressway Eastbound.)
By Public Transit
Take SEPTA’s Subway-Surface Trolley westbound to 40th and Woodland Avenue on any line except number 10.
© 2014 The Woodlands
4000 Woodland Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19104